Sunday, June 29, 2008

One Local Summer, Week 4 Report

We've had a few different local meals this week, but my favorite was this evening's dinner. The plan started out when I was in Manzanita and went to the great bookstore there because I'd finished reading the book I'd had with me (The God of Small Things). While I was at the Cloud and Leaf Bookstore, I found a copy of The Farm to Table Cookbook, by Ivy Manning, calling my name. So, I started reading the "Spring" chapter and found a couple of things I thought would go nicely together.
Spicy Minced Pork in Lettuce Bundles (well no lettuce bundles showing here, but this is the pork with all it's seasonings)




Watercress, Snow Pea, and Shiitake Stir-Fry

and Asian Slaw with Peanuts from Epicurious.com

And, here is the whole package. Pretty sloppy-looking picutre, but, being at our friends' house, I didn't want to take time to stage photos.



It all went together quite well and we've all had more than our daily ration of fresh ginger today since there was a good amount in all three dishes. The vegetables came from our garden, Cochran's garden and the farmer's market. The pork loin came from Pacific Village portk producers in Oregon via the New Seasons market in our neighborhood. Not local: peanuts, ginger, red pepper and lime juice.

And I'm looking forward to spending more time with Ivy Manning's cookbook.

2 comments:

Ann said...

gina's drooling... she actually GOT UP to come look at the screen. Trust me, she does not do that for MY blog. :)

need those recipes. unless there are too many steps. then we'll just go to wild ginger restar. for their lettuce wraps.

Joan said...

I'll send you the recipes. It really did turn out to be a good combination of dishes for a great meal.