Saturday, November 8, 2008

Leave it to the Irish

to find a family connection to anyone we want to call our own. Thank goodness some folks found the heritage of Barack's family in Ireland - the Kearneys from Moneygall in County Offaly. The Corrigan Brothers have even written a song, a modified version performed here by Shay Black.




I haven't written a post about the results of the election because I have really felt too overwhelmed - with the true significance (as opposed to the Irish linkage). And my own words don't feel adequate to the task. But, suffice to say, I am enormously grateful that, for the first time since I started voting in 1968, I am genuinely exited about the person for whom I voted in the presidential election. I believe Barack Obama is the right person for this difficult time. It's wonderful that he is our first African American in the office and it's great that he has an Irish connection. But, most important, he is an intelligent, ethical man with a clear vision of where we need to go and the calm, steady temperament to lead us there.

2 comments:

Dale said...

Yes. I was lukewarm about him -- maybe not even that warm about him -- when the campaign started. But his grace and steadiness have completely won me over. He's been solid as a rock. He's exactly what we need. It's a bit ironic that he's so young, because my main response to him is "finally, a grown-up in the White House!"

Joan said...

That's interesting what you said about him being a grown-up, Dale. Someone I was listening to on the radio recently made a similar comment - that, for the past 16 years, we've had adolescents in the White House, but that Obama is more of a grown-up. I hope so, because he's got his work cut out for him.