Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dark Days Eat Local Challenge Recap - Week 2: Delicata Squash

This is going to be a very short report today. For my Dark Days Challenge report I just want to describe one really good thing we had as part of our dinner last night. I'll do a separate write up about Thanksgiving with pictures for the family. But, I don't want to make Laura (moderator of the Eat Local Challenge) wade through all of that.

Kris got to choose the dinner choice for last night since he will not be here this evening and he chose fish. In the short amount of time I had available to shop, I didn't find much that was caught in Oregon, so we ended up with an Alaskan salmon fillet - wild caught, but not exactly local. However, to go with it, I cooked one of the delicata squash I had gotten at the farmer's market on Tuesday. Based on a recipe from Epicurious, I cut the delicata into slices after cutting it in half lengthwise (skin left on). Then, I cut up some Oregon mushrooms - morells and shitakes - into good size chunks. Coated them all with a little bit of olive oil that had been mixed with fresh thyme, salt and pepper. They roasted at 375 for about half an hour. It was delicious and made a very nice accompaniment to the salmon.

After we've taken Kris to the airport, I'll start rounding up the Thanksgiving pictures to share.

No comments: