Thursday, August 28, 2008

Curly Kale and Potato Soup

Last week's CSA share brought a nice looking bunch of Red Russian kale. So, I turned to my Alice Waters, Art of Simple Food for ideas and found her recipe for "Curly Kale and Potato Soup". I don't know the difference between curly and Red Russian - but the Red Russian was, in fact, kind of curly so I figured that was good enough for me. The recipe calls for Yellow Finn or Yukon Gold potatoes. I used some Yukon golds and some of the Red Nordland that Heather has been bringing in the farm share. I used onions from the farmer's market and the CSA. And, then we'd also gotten garlic yesterday from Heather's harvest. I did have to use store-bought chicken broth because we didn't have any on hand, but it is made here in our area. And I did add one of the optional variations - a half pound of spicy chicken sausage, made at our market. We thought it might have been a little bland without the spicy sausage, but next time I would try it with some dried red peppers to accomplish the same thing.

Simple, as promised by the title of the cookbook, but very nice.

No comments: