Monday, January 7, 2008

Voodoo Wedding



Reading other blogs, I observe that the well read bloggers provide useful information as a service to their readers, in addition to talking about stuff going on in their lives. So, I decided today I would share some very important and useful information that I just discovered. If you are in the market for putting on a wedding in the near future, you will want to know about this option. Voodoo Doughnuts, here in downtown Portland, can take care of all your wedding needs. They will provide a legal wedding ceremony, including coffee and doughnuts for 10 of your nearest and dearest friends, for the very reasonable fee of $175. How great is that? Engaged couples, check out www.voodoodoughnut.com/ (The photo is from their webpage.)

I feel a need to follow up this picture of doughnuts with a little something about my efforts towards more responsible approaches to eating. Last night's dinner was an example of one of the dilemmas of eating local. When trying out a new recipe, I prefer to stick with what it says and try it once before attempting variations. So, this dish was only partially local. Four of the most important ingredients were not at all local - three from Italy and one from Wisconsin. I made "Zita with Tomatoes, Capocolla and Diced Mozzarella". (From Lynne Rosetto Kasper's Weeknight Kitchen email service.) Only the tomatoes, parsley, basil and garlic came from Oregon. But, in the future, I know the pasta could be local, just a different shape, and I'm guessing that I could find suitable substitutes for the sopressata, pancetta and mozzarella. In any case, it was very tasty and, as always, withLynne's tips with the recipe I learn more about cooking. It is not particularly photogenic, but here is a shot of the sauce:

So, this will not count as one of our 90% local meals this week, but seemed worth sharing anyway. And, by the way, no need to thank me for the public service announcement on Voodoo Weddings. I live to serve.

No comments: