Tuesday, January 13, 2009

One Week To Go - Do You Have Your Inauguration Plans?

I guess it's time to retire the Bush Countdown Clock. Cue large sigh of relief.

We have a small crowd with whom we watched the debates and then gathered again on election night. So, it only seemed right to follow through and invite them for dinner on Inauguration evening. I'm thinking theme food (?). At the least maybe some sugar cookies that we can decorate with red, white and blue frosting ala the cake that Ian made with the Obama symbol in the frosting. We're also contemplating some kind of simple activity in the spirit of service that the President-elect has inspired in so many people. Maybe writing letters to our representatives? cooking extra food to take to someone? Maybe just making a plan to do something else later on.

I ay have said this earlier. But, this election and inauguration together make probably the only time I wish I was back at the school where I was principal at the end of my career. Since at least 65% of my students looked like Sash and Malia, I really don't think it is possible to overestimate the significance of our choice to them and to their families. And, listening to the current principal describe what it was like at school on November 5, I know my hunch is correct.

So, today's post is dedicated to once again seeing a young family in the White House. I actually remember a lot of that kind of talk from 1960 - my first memories of a presidential election. I was 11 - old enough to watch election night and the inauguration on TV.

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/08/01-07/barack-obama-family_434x369.jpg

No comments: