Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Fallling Off the Wagon :(

Whoa, it sure seems like I've fallen off the Eat Local wagon lately. In trying to analyze, it's not so much that we aren't eating a goodly portion of locally grown foods as it is that I haven't been doing much thinking or planning. Lots going on, including eating a number of meals elsewhere - at friend's houses or restaurants or Christmas parties. And, currently, I am in a clean out the refrigerator mode since we are heading out of town on Saturday to spend Chrismas in Alameda, California with my sister-in-law.

Now that I think of it, though, last night's dinner was largely local. I started out making a pork chile verde. It ended up to be more rojo than verde, however, based on what we had available. The pork and most of the vegetables were local. But, I did use some commercially canned tomatoes and am not sure where they came from. The whole wheat tortillas were made locally. But, we also had brown rice which is a travelling item.

The next week will be similarly haphazard because we will be on the road. Since we'll be in California, I'm thinking there will be lots of options that are local to where we're spending the holiday, but I won't be the one doing most of the meal planning. That will be a nice change from the usual large gatherings here at our house for Christmas. In any case, I should be able to get back on the wagon and do some more careful thinking and planning after we return. Although, my main farmer's market will be closed by then, so that will really add a bigger challenge to the whole game.

But, then, that's OK. My main theme of this blog is having more time in my life to do things I think are important. Never thought it would all be easy.

2 comments:

Ann said...

what? no more videos??

and once you are in calif. i'm sure it will all be local, cuz anything of any importance comes from calif.... you know, like CHiPs, you're fav.tv show.

ckw said...

Joan-
love the video-bwauk-
anyway-- I am hoping you are having a great holiday- and I wanted to tell you how bummed out we were that we were unable to come to your "special" party the other night- Ted was out of town on biz and returning that night at the airport and there was a little guy, Preston, who was also with us-- otherwise -so there! but heard all about it and glad you had fun!
happy 'olidays
ckw