Monday, October 13, 2008

Celebrating Chili Weather Again

After a hiatus due to a trip to the San Juan Islands, I'm ready to blog again about our local eating efforts. I'll add a post about the trip once I sort through the pictures a second time.

There is nothing like the first cold days of fall to call out for a big pot of chili. And, just as I was contemplating this fact, one of my favorite local eating blogs turned up with a recipe. Laura, at (not so) Urban Hennery, adapted a recipe for sloppy joes from another of my favorite food blogs (Married with Dinner) into a chili. Laura was very happy with her results and, likewise, Grady and I thought my version was one of the best I've made in quite a while. So, I'm giving this version a strong recommendation.

I will note that I made a few modifications - not because I thought they were needed, but rather in response to items I had on hand. I only had about a cup of tomato sauce, so I added some additional tomatoes and cooked it a bit longer. I also added both a red and a yellow bell pepper and, instead of the Anaheim chile, I used a couple of peppers from our garden. One was a jalpeno and I'm not sure what the other was, but it looked like a small poblano. That business of the chiles you use is, of course, one of the big factors in varying the heat level. We like things pretty hot, but not so much that you are wiping your forehead constantly. This combination worked well for us, but the Anaheim might be safer. I'd like to try that another time when I have one on hand.

So, yes, we are still eating locally pretty regularly - even though I haven't been writing it lately. I missed a recent opportunity for an October eat local challenge. But, I will report in as if we were in the challenge group. The beef came from our 1/8 share from Kookoolan Farms . The chorizo was most definitely not local, but was something we have had in the freezer for a while, so I was glad to use it. All the fresh produce, except the bell peppers, were from our garden and our farm share. Beans were local, but purchased at a store at some point.
So, here is the Laura/Anita recipe:

San Francisco Joe’s Chili
makes a big pot adapted from Anita’s San Francisco Sloppy Joes

1.5 pounds bulk Chorizo
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium Anaheim chile, diced, or to taste
1 small bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced (I like red)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 tbs chile powder, or to taste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cups fresh tomato, chopped
3-4 cups tomato sauce
1.5 cups pinto beans
1.5 cups kidney beans
1 cup black beans

1. In a dutch oven, or medium pot, brown the chorizo in a bit of oil. Then set it aside, leaving the drippings in the pan.

2. In the same pan, brown the ground beef. Add the chiles, pepper, 2/3s of the onion and garlic when the beef is almost done. Cook several minutes until onions becomes translucent. Then add the chopped tomato, chile powder, oregano and salt.

3. Add the tomato sauce and beans. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for at least 45 minutes.

4. Serve with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, the remaining onion and a touch of sour cream. We had corn bread muffins on the side. Yum!


It does, indeed, make a big pot. We've had it three times so far and have enough left to put some in the freezer for later on. To vary things a bit, we had it with cornbread one night, with tortilla chips another, and then tonight served it over brown rice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum yum and yum!! Too bad it's so hot here or I'd make it tonight!! Thanks Joan! Traci